8.08.2016

Rain, Rain Go Away...

Rushing Health Update: The boy had another MRI on his leg and we had a second opinion and we don’t think it’s as bad as the original prognosis. He’s still looking at another couple of weeks crutches- but good news on the whole. Me, I’m still on these anti-biotics (some by pill, some by portable IV), and liver drains. I look terrible, but I think I’ve still got my mind right. The other two are pictures of health.

Like clockwork, the time has come again for family vacation, and like swallows to Capistrano, the Rushings head to Seaside. I was so proud of myself when I found that for the same money we could be taking the boys to places that in addition to obvious vacation amenities held some form of cultural or worldly value. The first year we went to Costa Rica- for about the same money as it took to go to Seaside. It was one of the best vacations ever. I was looking forward to continuing to expand their range as they got older- and then I got this bullshit cancer and my wings were clipped.

As I tell you every year, Seagrove was my "home beach" and this part of the world is my default when I think of vacation. Since all of Seagrove is essentially built over (and the new Seagrove Market is starting to take shape…I’m still bitter), and because there is a deeper design reason, we’ve adopted Seaside (200 yards west) as home beach. Part of me hates doing the same thing every year when we have such a rich country to explore, but it's just so easy, and I suppose there is something to be said for tradition. There's something to be said for watching your children play on the same beaches you did, swim in the same waters you did, eat the same $15 hormone and steroid-free, grass-fed, family-farmed and pasture-raised turkey hot dogs…wait, what?

Uh, yeah...hello vacation forecast. 

After several weeks of metaphoric storm clouds, the Rushings have arrived at the beach to find real ones. Who knows what the rest of the week will hold for us, but this is the forecast:

Florida weather, however, is about as trustworthy as a Clinton/Trump ticket, so I suspect we’ll have plenty of sunshine. From my perspective, however, rain/no rain is all the same. In this sad, feeble-ass body* I can’t spend much time in the sun, and sadly I can’t jump in the pool or the ocean. I currently have three drains poking out of my liver. One was installed in Houston last fall, and it’s now more or less a permanent addition to my body. The other two more recently installed additions are set to come out after their usefulness comes to an end. Until they’re removed, I have two little sacks that hang by my side and collect purulent drainage and bile. In any event, they don’t play well will immersion, so anything akin to swimming or wading are right out. So while, the rain won’t bother me, I hope for D and the boys sake they get more than a few days of sun.

I think need this vacation. I probably should have used my spare time in the hospital to relax a bit, but everything I'm working on right now is so compelling and fun that it's tough to pull away from. Also, I always feel a certain guilt for being in the hospital and letting my clients down, so I work- a fun penance of a sort. During vacation, however, I don't feel so bad about turning off for a specified period of time (I did bring my computer just in case though- for blog writing purposes only...or something like that).

I have an idea for what I might want to write about fun to share in the blog next week, we’ll just have to see if I can pull it off or not. Stay tuned. I love you all, please have a good week, and hopefully we’ll catch up in a weeks time. Until then cheers!

This week's music: This is appropriate, as is this

*It’s amazing what extended time in the hospital will do to your body. I never recovered the full weight I lost in Houston in last fall, a full forty pounds. I got some of it back, but gave it all back this last month. I hate looking in the mirror- that’s not me, that’s some other poor, pathetic soul. But we play the hand we’re dealt…we play the ball as it lies…(sorry, my rah-rah levels are a bit low, hopefully vacation will help me bounce back). 

No comments:

Post a Comment