6.09.2014

It's Ba-ack...

Memory is a funny thing. Of all the things we hear, see, smell, taste, touch and feel in our youth, some stick with us and others don't. When I was growing up, the Montgomery transit system ran a "Nickel Day" promotion. Being the sub-urbanites that we were, Lord knows that we would never have actually ridden the bus, but we were aware of it. We were aware of it because of one of the most nefariously catchy jungles in the history of radio and television advertising. "Nick-el day is here a-gain". This little ditty has stayed with me for thirty years. I mention it now because through some sub-conscious link, I have connected that jingle with the events of the coming week. "Ri-ver-bend is here a-gain". As with the bus in Montgomery, there is virtually no chance of finding me at Riverbend. Love it or hate it, it is here again. Whether you support the festival or not, it is a disruptive event for those of us who live and work here. Since downtown is shut down, I'll do the same for the blog this week. I will, however, leave you with some Riverbend reading to contemplate...

The final quote is very interesting

Maybe not scientific, but telling...

Funny because it's true?

Previous Riverbend post 1

Previous Riverbend post 2

Obligatory Summer of Sullivan Image:
The Golden Door.  World's Columbian Exposition, 1893

No comments:

Post a Comment