4.22.2013

Flick of the Finger

Well, the week got past me before I had an opportunity to come up with a cogent post. (That's not entirely true, I wrote a thousand words about how TDOT came to layeth the smacketh down by kickstarting US-27. But on this occasion I decided to channel my inner Herm Edwards and will keep my thoughts to myself for now). Last week was roundly horrible and my mind is scattered, so this post will reflect that. Without further ado, it's clip post time...

-It appears that the City is getting an organizational facelift. This has the potential to be a very good thing. I must admit, however, that the thought of a city Department of Transportation scares the ever-loving shit out of me. There is reason for optimism though, that this new transportation construct will be an agent of positive change.

-At Auburn's A-Day game weekend, they unveiled a redesign for Toomer's Corner. Please note that "historical character" is code for uninspired design fence-sitting. To be fair, that was to be expected, I couldn't really see them doing anything else. To be sure, a lost opportunity when you consider that they are dropping seven figures on it.

-A couple of my favorite bands are coming out with new stuff. To get fired up check out the new Beady Eye. The song contains one of the great revolutionary quotes of all time by Jean-Paul Marat:

“Don’t be taken in when they paternally pat you on the shoulder and say that there’s no inequality worth speaking of and no more reason to fight because if you believe them they will be completely in charge in their marble homes and granite banks from which they rob the people of the world under the pretense of bringing them culture. Watch out, for as soon as it pleases them they’ll send you out to protect their gold in wars whose weapons, rapidly developed by servile scientists, will become more and more deadly until they can with a flick of the finger tear a million of you to pieces.”

And to calm back down check out Junip's new stuff.

-A brief note on perspective. This weekend while prepping some mis en place for dinner I had an unfortunate encounter with my beloved Global 8" chef's knife. While in the emergency room talking with the nurse about whether or not my fingernail was going to grow back properly, there was a bit of a commotion in the ER. A few minutes later, the nurse returned and noted that a man had just come in with his (unattached) hand in a bag. Of course, at that moment I felt foolish and was reminded that no matter what problems I think I have, there is always someone who has it worse.

-This

Back next week (hopefully on topic). Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment