9.04.2011

Tangent: Food Fight

Please be advised that the main focus of this post has nothing to do with urban design, it’s just a quick Labor Day food-related rant. Please note that I’m going to work blue and some of the links are distasteful (sorry Mom). If you choose to read no further, you won’t be missing much. Don’t worry, I have a more focused urban design post coming tomorrow…

I find the overwhelming majority of TV food personalities insufferable. Despite the fact they are talking food, I find “I’m going to eat the grossest thing I can find” guy, douchebag 1, 2, 3*, and 4*, and  “Check Out My Décolletage” lady utterly unappetizing. There are some notable exceptions: I like Gordon Ramsay (but only his British shows, the American ones are crap), I have Mario’s autograph, and I like Anthony Bourdain. I’m somewhat tired of it by now, but once upon a time “No Reservations” was my favorite TV show.

In a recent TV guide article Bourdain was quoted as saying "The worst, most dangerous person to America is clearly Paula Deen. She revels in unholy connections with evil corporations and she's proud of the fact that her food is f---ing bad for you. If I were on at seven at night and loved by millions of people at every age, I would think twice before telling an already obese nation that it's OK to eat food that is killing us. Plus, her food sucks." To which Ms. Dean replied “You know, not everybody can afford to pay $58 for prime rib or $650 for a bottle of wine. My friends and I cook for regular families who worry about feeding their kids and paying the bills… In the last two years, my partners and I have fed more than 10 million hungry people by bringing meat to food banks.” FOOD FIGHT!!!  BTW, poor Tony has been raked over the F'ing coals over this one..incomprehensible.

Be Strong Tony!

I’ve got Tony’s back on this one. Read closely and you will find that Ms. Deen actually has no argument with the substance of what Bourdain said. Her response is to call him an elitist and then brag about her good deeds. If she is seriously concerned about the well-being of the needy, Ms. Deen should consider bringing vegetables and fruits to the food bank instead of meat. Is she arguing that using Krispy Kreme donuts as the bun for a lady’s brunch sandwich (and to drink, might I suggest the ’97 vintage Cheez Wiz) and deep frying mac and cheese and cheescake  are cost-effective ways for struggling American families to eat? I’m sure she does plenty of charity work, which is admirable. Helping poor people eat meat, however, does not make up for the awful example she is providing her millions of viewers.

"cause F--- your arteries, that's why!"

Food is a serious issue- globally, nationally, locally, any way you slice it. The industrialization of our nation’s food supply is well documented, as are the myriad problems it has spawned with a variety of human health concerns, environmental degradation, scarcity, etc. etc. etc. Clearly, the TV food people are self-aware and understand that they have a pulpit. How can one address the real food issues of “regular families” (nutrition, food deserts, obesity, scarcity, cost, long-term health) while instructing them how to fry lasagna?

Rant over. I’ll see yall tomorrow, back on topic and in a much better mood.

*Despite their Douchyness, Jamie and Tyler actually work on issues of nutrition and health, so hats off to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment